So a little update this fourth of July, going out to any of those who may have been excited about the Deep Magic Kickstarter I mentioned last week. They are now sitting at $89,000 of their original $10,000 goal. Not sure if we've had any effect on that figure (certainly not a large one at any rate) but it's exciting to think about how far that project may now go with all the extra cash.
Since I was checking out Kickstarter I thought I'd point out some other interesting Kickstarter projects I've heard about and seen around.
1. Firstly for you JRPG fans out there I have some good news. An ambitious game designer named Mike Gale has decided to go old school and produce a game in the style of the old Playstation 1&2 era JRPG games.
This game is called Soul Saga, and features the old blue drop down menus (for us old folks), a story driven campaign, turn based combat, and all the other things you sometimes find yourself missing from a few years ago. As if that wasn't enough he wants to include a different resource system for each character, visible monsters in the overworld and environmental puzzles just to polish this thing off.
Oh and it's already funded. Let's hope this guy can deliver. It's currently due out July of next year on Wii U, PS4, PS Vita, and Steam.
2. Nextly, for fans of the Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment games on PC there are a couple of already completed Kickstarters for you to check out. I'll leave the details to the creators themselves, but here are the links in case you are interested. This isn't exactly news, but consider it spreading the word.
3. This one is just so awesome to me. Cthulu Wars, a lovecraftian strategy board game where each player produces cultists and attempts to awake their own faction of Great Old Ones to conquer the earth. Each player uses a unique set of tools to foil his opponents and see the world writhe under his own personal vision of the apocalypse. This ones been overfunded by about 2,000% now so at this point you may just want to sit back relax and wait for the oncoming doom. However if you are feeling frisky there are still two days to throw in your lot with the rest. Not that it will matter. In the end nothing will.
4. Now, I don't know if any of you guys are LARPers but if you are then, well hurrah for you. Another already successful Kickstarter campaign has been completed, in order to fund the return of Mind's Eye Theatre, and to produce a news Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire the Masquerade book. I am not personally familiar enough with the system or the setting to tell you much more (or at least offer an informed opinion on the topic) but there you have it. Link is in the text.
5. I'm... I'm not even really sure where to start with this one. A tabletop roleplaying game that takes place extremely far in the future on an "Oith," inhabited by giant roaches and other odd and disgusting races. The only race not present is the "Hoomanrace," although they are remembered and venerated as the progenitors of the other races. Truly I don't know what to think... but I desperately want to try it. Check out the Kickstarter for Lowlife: Rise of the Lowly.
Finally I want to share some underfunded Kickstarters and urge you all to check them out on your own time.
Storm - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827534456/storm?ref=category
Fire with Fire - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/660810230/fire-with-fire-online-tower-attack-and-defense?ref=category
Frozen State - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1683973133/frozen-state?ref=category
Data Dealer - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cuteacute/data-dealer?ref=category
GoD Factory - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninedots/god-factory-wingmen?ref=category
ANTHYMN - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37002837/anthymn?ref=category
Unfortunately that's it for my time, I have fireworks to eat and Barbeque to set on fire.
Thanks for playing.